Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My newest Love

On a recent trip to Holland I met a lovely lady and her boyfriend, Dirik & Merel, who work for a Photographic magazine called GUP.  On an enlightening visit to one of Amsterdam's unique art galleries called FOAM; which specializes in Photography only (an obscure yet brilliant concept for the developing art world in Vancouver!) Merel gave me an issue of her magazine GUP.  The abbreviation stands for: Guide to Unique Photography; and what a guide it is!
It was a double issue and it had me hooked from the first flip. Not only is it a photo-lovers print Mecca, but it is practical too. I recently purchased the new Nikon D7000 with a mega lens and have been plagued with the problem of finding a compact and protective case for it.  The second page solved my issue in a minute. Subtlety placed on the upper right hand corner of the page was this genius invention by Think Tank called the "Sling-O-Matic"(www.thinktankphoto.com).
GUP has a fantastic inventory of global galleries and contemporary exhibitions.  It promotes amateur work and also well established photographers like Erwin Olaf and Albert Watson.

It is an international magazine so I am thrilled that when I get home I can search for it.  I praise this magazine for its ambition, beauty, and wit, but most of all for the inspiration it has stirred within me.  I recommend it to anyone who  wants an intellectual work out or simply a joyous voyage through an eclectic mix of fabulous photos.  They have a great website so check it out, and for those of you lucky enough to have an Ipad subscribe!

 www.gupmagazine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment